Monday, February 10, 2014

Learning Goals Revisited and Reloaded!

In an earlier blog, I posted three major learning goals for the FRIT 7234 course.  The learning goals have become professional goals that transcend all areas of my professional journey. The learning goals are as follows:

  • Learning Goal #1: To effectively keep my PLN (Personal Learning Network) "fresh", refreshed and up-to-date or current.  In addition, I would like to learn how to identify relevant and beneficial articles to post and share.  
  • Learning Goal #2: To become fluent in the use of research-based, learner-centered strategies, especially in the area of diversity.
  • Learning Goal #3: To effectively identify and use research-based best practices in instructional design; collaborating with online classmates and worksite colleagues;
As I initially established the above goals, I thought to myself, "These are pretty hefty goals.  How will I accomplish these in a semester?"

Well....
I have made major progress with Learning Goal #1.  There is a true awareness of my PLN as an essential digital tool.  I am giving more consistent attention to maintaining and keeping it current.  In order to accomplish this task, I established a "topic suggestion" box for the PLN that has a date filter.  This allows me to keep my curating up-to-date.  In addition, I added a topic filter to curate specific topics relevant to the course and my professional interests.  

Modifying my goals is a non-negotiable, right now.  Currently, I am attempting to master Learning Goal #2 and Learning Goal #3.  Many opportunities have surfaced, giving me ample practice to effectively identify and use research-based best practices to share with colleagues.

Digital Fluency...My growth mindset...
A pastor of a global church once said, "If you do not know the purpose of something, abuse is inevitable."  If we and our learners do not know the purpose of Digital Information Fluency Skills, we will end up in the Land of the Doldrums, asleep at the wheel  (Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster).  

Digital information fluency is a safe guard for both the instructor and learner.  It is a guide, a map, a charted course that one should follow with minimal detours.  Teaching the self and others how to navigate through online research with purpose is essential.   As I familiarize myself with the Digital Information Fluency model, my awareness of quality surfing and online researching has taken shape.  Locating information efficiently: translating natural questions into a search query is a characteristic that was never relevant to me until now.  After viewing the Digital fluency model, it all makes perfect sense.  Mastery of Learning Goal #2 is not a distant goal.  

I have a clear and growing mindset. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about one of the main aspects of a growth mindset is having the capablity to identify your goals. The quote form your pastor was on point. I ofetn feel as though inquiry learning changes the roles of the educator form the captain of the ship, to the navigator. The instructor sits atop the mast and maps a course while the student captains over his resources and ability to reach those learning goals. Great Blog Post!

    ReplyDelete