Thursday, February 13, 2014

Inquiry Learning: Learning how to inquire according to Einstein


Inquiry Learning in my classroom and school environment is welcomed by my gifted learners.  Here is what they said, "Class is no longer BORING! "

The gifted standards: HOTS (higher order thinking skills), CPS (creative problem-solving), ARS (advanced research skills), and ACS (advanced communication skills) are incorporated into our lessons.  We get it!  We can explore, discover and use our multiple intelligences or strengths to complete performance tasks or to express our understanding or to guide our hypothesis' for an experiment. 

Oh, yes indeed! Science experiments are exciting and interesting.  The Steps of the Scientific Method make sense to us.  We know how to ask probing questions, digitally document our perspectives and reflect on our learning.  All of this is done using iPads, Flip cameras, green screens, and laptops-independently! 

PART TWO: PRINCIPLE #5 TECHNOLOGY EXTENDED

According the Principle #5 Technology-Appropriate Use of Technology Rubric, I see my classroom falling into the Developing quadrant, slowly crossing over to the Accomplished.  Based on my school’s demographics and socio-economic status, students are limited with “take-home” technology.  Many of our students cannot afford to have the internet in their homes.  A very small percentage of those lacking, will make an effort to visit the public library to complete technology-ladened homework.  Inquiry-based learning in the classroom, using technological tools, can be limited when the student population dictates otherwise. 

There is a bright side to the technological journey.  Our school district has partnered with Microsoft Bing and myBackpack Cloud platform.  This provides some flexibility with the use of technology outside of the school and beyond one classroom. 

Although we are limited, I have an advantage as a gifted resource teacher.  My schedule permits me to serve a specific grade level once per week for 300 minutes, focusing on a specific topic.  Therefore, I have the opportunity to offer a plethora of technological tools (personal and school property) to the gifted learners.  

Thinking aloud, I ask myself: “How can I engage my students, enhance my lessons and extend the technological use to where it is meaningful?” 

Science Exploration Class: Students can use the Web 2.0 tool Glogster or Infographics to reinforce  and display their understanding of The Steps of the Scientific Method.
  • Students can use digital cameras to record their group experiments and team think-alouds.  This allows the students to review their comments and to capture images of the experiment.

  • Students use iPhoto and iMovie to upload, create and demonstrate their entire inquiry-based learning experience with the Steps of the Scientific Method.

  • Students use Excel for data analysis and to display results

  • Students use www.cueprompter.com along with the class iPads to type their Science experiment video diary script.  Their team will collaborate and record themselves in front of a green screen, using the digital camera.

  • Students will use Google, Bing and other Search engines to research royalty-free images that can be inserted as a background to their video diary (green screen).

  • Students and entire class are authors of a PBWorks wiki space; we upload our findings, videos and reflections; 

10 comments:

  1. Rita, I believe what your students say about your class is not boring! While there is always room to add MORE technology in our lessons/classrooms, I think that you are doing a pretty good job with incorporating technology into your lessons from your list above. Our system can relate to students having limited availability to technology at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too find it difficult to incorporate technology due to the socio-economic status of my students. While our school is full of technology and access to plenty (iPads, netbooks, laptops, computer labs, etc…) the learning is hard to take beyond the classroom. I teach Seniors so they are full of excuses :) You mini-lesson seems like it will incorporate all kinds of technology and findings for your students. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am attempting to "cover all of my bases" and leave no stone unturned. I would like all of my students to be exposed to technology.

      Delete
  3. I think that gifted teachers in our schools are excellent resources to help others teach through inquiry. In my experience, it seems that teaching through inquiry happens more often in the gifted classroom. It is fantastic to hear that your kids are not bored! That is the result of allowing kids the freedom to discover and explore while being guided towards their learning goals. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Choice and a no-risk classroom is so enjoyable for all of us.

      Delete
  4. Rita, well developed ideas concerning your mini lessons. I like how you will give the students the ability to use their choice of web 2.0 tool, Glogster, or infographic. With many of these options available the students should be able to use a tool that they feel comfortable with or learn how to use a new one. Your students will enjoy this project. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the well-wishes! I hope that this lesson goes well.

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed how detailed your blog was. You seem to have a grasp on how to implement inquiry learning techniques into your course material. Your mini lessons seem to make effective use of technology that is natural and enriching. I noticed that you made use of social base web 2.0 tools that focus on collaborative efforts and communication. I feel like some of the best aspects of that will enhance the ability and effectiveness of inquiry learning are collaboration and discussion of ideas with peers.

    ReplyDelete